I Built My First Lightsaber!

Hello Hello!

I have returned from my much anticipated and much needed trip to Walt Disney World a few weeks ago and i'm slowly getting back into my regular routine (along with planning a few trips which I will share in a future post!) I wanted to take some time to get back into the swing of things and I had to stop and ask myself, "What will I write about first?" After a poll on twitter, the people really wanted to hear about my experience with Savi's Lightsaber workshop.

Shout out to the AMAZING Photopass Photographer for this picture!
Ears from Leahshouseofmouseears on Instagram
Sweater from UniqueVintage


Now if you plan on doing this for a future trip and want to be surprised, don't read any further. But if you don't mind a few spoilers read on! I personally went in blind for my experience besides the little research I did to decide which kyber crystal I wanted to use and looking for a price with tax included. I know there are some people who like to know what they're spending their money on and whether or not it's worth it, so this one is for you.

To start, I would highly recommend booking this as far in advance as possible. I booked my reservation as soon as they started accepting them back in September. You are able to book 180 days in advance. To book your reservation, you can click here. Just a few things to keep in mind before you make your reservation.

  • They are nonrefundable and currently not eligible for Annual Passholder discount, which is understandable seeing as how they you are making a custom lightsaber.
  • Payment is due upon arrival but they will ask for you to put a card on file in case of a no show or if you cancel too late. If you do not cancel your reservation at least the day before, you will be charged the full amount of $199.99 plus tax.
  • Your experience includes your lightsaber and a case for it to come in but you can buy additional pieces to add to it at Doc Ondar's Den of Antiquities inside Galaxy's Edge.
  • You are paying for one lightsaber per experience.
  • You are allowed to bring one guest with you who is not building, which I would suggest you take advantage of if you want photos and video of your experience. Otherwise, the other person must pay to build their own lightsaber as well.
  • This reservation does not include park admission and you will need that to get in
  • They will ask for photo ID and the confirmation number upon arrival.

Now, it took me FOREVER to look for an actual price for building the lightsaber with tax and I never did find it. So I put $215 on a gift card just to be safe. I did this for all of my experiences during my trip so I would not overspend. Fortunately, I finally got the answer and with tax you'll be paying about $203. 

They ask that you check in no earlier than 15 mins before your check in time. If you are staying at a resort and have to take the bus, like I did, try to plan for busses not coming every 20 mins. I had just barely made my reservation by 5 mins and I had started making my way to Hollywood Studios a whole hour before my schedule. If you can, I would suggest using Lyft to avoid this. I didn't account for not being able to use my Disney gift card for the Minnie Vans so I kind of screwed myself. 

When you arrive in Batuu or Galaxy's Edge, you are going to go towards the millennium falcon and it'll be near there. If anything, simply ask! I arrived at the check in desk and I first met with a super sweet cast member with a pad who confirmed my reservation. She later called names and that's how you knew to go to the desk to pay. They directed me to a small separated section for guests who checked in and they allowed you to examine the hilt pieces that you could choose from for your lightsaber. The same sweet cast member took a moment to talk to me about the hilt pieces and the story each one had. Seeing as how I went in blind, this was amazingly helpful. She got a feel for my personality and helped me choose the pieces that "called to me." 

You can choose from the following types:

  • Peace and Justice
  • Power and Control
  • Elemental Nature
  • Protection and Defense
I chose Protection and Defense for my hilt and with her help I knew exactly which hilt pieces I wanted. She gave me a pin that would represent my selection and we were told to put them over our hearts. We waited about maybe 15 mins and then we were all gathered. She explained that we were all gathered there to build...wait for it... scarp metal. It is not wise to discuss what we are building out loud since the first order is always listening and watching. We were then brought into another room where the magic would happen! The photos below are some of the details in the hallway going towards the chamber where we would build.





 Once inside, we were walked through the process with Gatherers, people who collect interesting parts, memorabilia and intriguing pieces for the workshop. The main gatherer really had a presence during this process as she spoke with us. I was actually surprised to see a gatherer that I knew! He was very helpful with me during the building and knowledgeable so thanks Timmy!

The Main gatherer explains what kyber crystals are and gave examples of those who have held these crystals in their own lightsabers! The options were Blue, Green, Purple and Red. I was VERY tempted to choose red since I am a fan of the dark side when it comes to the Star Wars Lore. A blue kyber crystal has powered the lightsabers of Obi-Wan Kenobi aka Space Jesus, Anakin Skywalker and Rey. Green has been used by Ahsoka Tano, Anakin's Padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn, Luke Skywalker and Yoda. Purple which is rare and held by Mace Windu. Red , usually used by those on the dark side and known as the crystal of power , has been held by Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren and Asajj Ventress.


We were given our pieces that matched what theme for our hilt we chose and were shown how to assemble them together.



I finished a bit faster than the rest of the group, with the help of Timmy and the knowledge of the female cast member who helped me choose my hilt pieces and was able to get a little video of the room in action. The Main gatherer actually stopped by and spoke with me, acknowledging how quickly I worked and took interest in what I created. She mentioned that she felt the hilt suited my personality and sensed that when I arrived which made me smile a lot and feel that I chose very well. Once done, we chose our crystals and were shown how to place them inside the hilt. The hilt building process took about maybe 5-7 mins and afterwards we were left with our finished products!



The hilt itself has a good amount of weight to it which is why you're paying so much for this experience. These pieces are actual metal vs the plastic ones that just push out when you wave it. A woman asked to see and hold my completed lightsaber when I was shopping afterwards and she was surprised at the weight and actual size of it. Its bigger than I expected to be honest. After everyone is finished building, we got a surprise from a special visitor.


We were asked to put our hilts into a machine that would connect the saber to it and once the combining was complete, we were asked to turn our sabers on and raise them as one to the sky! It was honestly such a cool and emotional experience, at least for me anyway. I have wanted a lightsaber for years and I was finally getting one! With your experience, you're given a carrying case to transport your lightsaber in. TSA has deemed lightsabers okay to go through as of this post so you should have no issues getting it through if you are flying home with it.

After the experience, I went to a photopass spot at a high point near the stairs going down towards Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and got some photos with my lightsaber, which I would recommend doing at night. This allowed for some super cool photos that showed it off.

Showing off my lightsaber in front of the Millennium Falcon
Featured is the Pin you get once you have chosen your hilt theme on my sweater
Ears: LeahsHouseofMouseEars
Sweater: UniqueVintage 
Scrunchies: A Touch of Pearls Shop


Skirt: MakingsofaDreamer Shop
  I feel like if you are a big star wars fan and are willing to spend the money, it is worth it to do this experience at Savi Workshop.

Comments