What's Wrong with being a Childless Millennial ???

In our culture, there are some people that feel the need to insult adults who enjoy going to the Disney Parks without children. This went viral back in fall 2018 after a woman posted a rant about a "childless millennial" during her Disney Parks visit.





Every now and again, people make tweets about how its weird or pathetic that there are adults that are obsessed with Disney. People in the fandom always are quick to defend their interests and then said person either plays the victim or just continues to relish in the attention and egg it on more. Even just this week, someone did this.



Now this individual is fully entitled to their opinion and i'm not going to bash her, or anyone for thinking this. But I will also speak my own mind as someone who is what you would call a "Childless Millennial." Yes, I am 27 years old. I am an adult who currently by choice is not starting a family at this stage in my life. Nor am I what you would call "Mentally Healthy" either. I have been an advocate for mental health for quite a few years now after going through my own personal journey dealing with depression and anxiety. It continues to this day. So why is it this young woman took one path that didn't involve Disney and I did? Because some things aren't for everyone.



My path took me towards Disney because it's something that sparks joy for me. Some people simply can't be open minded and allow themselves to just enjoy what Walt intended his parks to bring to people. Walt didn't want the parks to be "just for families." I wholeheartedly love seeing families enjoy their times together and make memories there during my own visits. But why is it I can't enjoy them too by myself or with friends who are around my age without being judged? When you first enter the park, there is a gold plaque that reads "Here you leave the world of today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." This is not limited to just adults with families or children. This is meant for people like me as well, who need a temporary escape for the trials and stresses of their everyday lives , want to reminisce and enjoy days of long ago where they could just be purely happy. I feel that there are people with families who get frustrated at the facts the parks are so busy because people like myself are "crowding it."

Childless Millennial in their Natural Habitat 


In reality, its probably because Disney parks are growing in popularity every year, they are offering brand new things constantly that draw in people who are interested and most of the times its because they aren't planning well enough to actually be able to avoid crowds and times that are most busy. I can also see it being stressful dealing with your young children in a busy park. They are off schedule and probably haven't taken their nap because you've had them out all morning. They are probably very cranky, unreasonable and tired. You are stressed and tired. You spent all that money and effort to get them there and they don't want to smile for their first photo with mickey. Things may not be going the way you wanted. But guess what? That's not my fault and I shouldn't be blamed for it. Just like you planned the perfect trip to Disney for your family, I just spent lord knows how much money on a trip last month just for myself to spend a nice, fun relaxing week at Disney World. So because im an adult spending money on a Disney trip for myself and not a child, im not worthy of having a good time there?


I think part of the problem is we are so quick to judge people today and just not focus on ourselves. We are so ready to distract ourselves from our troubles, issues and faults by focusing on the faults of others in order to make ourselves feel superior. I guess choosing adults who just enjoy going to Disney Parks are easier to pick on online rather than adults who have meltdowns because their favorite sports team lost or are obsessed with any sports team in general. Either could be called childish to be honest, but stay with me now.

What if, we all just minded our business and let people enjoy the things that made them happy? We live in such a scary, sad world and at the end of the day, we all are seeking personal joy and happiness. So who really cares that much if loving Disney, the Baltimore Ravens or traveling makes me happy? It doesn't effect you or your life and its not putting anyone or anything in harms way. Not to mention, I work hard to get my paycheck and I am able to spend it on however I see fit. While I respect the opinion of those with families who are simply trying to enjoy the parks with their families, It's pretty rude and unfair you to say I shouldn't be allowed to visit when I work just as hard for my coin too. And as I stated before, you are welcome to judge me for what I enjoy but all I will do is pity you because clearly you are hurting so much inside that you feel the need to attempt to bring someone down simply for what they love.



There are people out there who have literally made their love of Disney into a business and are now able to make a difference for their own personal causes such as diversity and equality. Meanwhile, you feel the need to just judge them. We are all minding our business, being content and happy and some of us are making bank while doing it. Not too many people can say they lived a life where they did a job that didn't feel like it was a 9-5. I will close by saying this. Take a look at yourself before you decide to insult others just for doing what sparks joy for them. Find what sparks joy for yourself and live your best life while not being so negative towards others.

Comments