I Fell in Love with Barre

So when I first started using Classpass, I was mainly looking for yoga or Pilates classes. That's just what I was used to doing as far as exercise besides the gym. I was looking for a class setting because I enjoy working in groups occasionally. It forces me to overcome my social anxiety and get the benefits of a workout.

I came across the perfect place to do a spin class, which I was looking into trying, but saw that they  offered Barre classes. I was pretty confused, thinking that they taught ballet classes. Further googling gave me enough information to give it a shot!

PC: Thepilatesbarrestudio.com


Barre is a new workout trend that combines yoga, Pilates and ballet to music. Seeing as how I was already fairly familiar with yoga and Pilates, it seemed like a perfect fit for me! Barre is low impact and features cardio, core conditioning, strength training in the workouts. Sometimes we use equipment such as balls and weights during the routines. You start with warmups and upper body movements like the dreaded planks and pushups. Usually you target the arms, back, triceps and chest then move on to the barre movements where you use the actual ballet bar. At this point, your core is engaged the entire time and you use your own body weight as resistance as you focus on the thigh and butt. My class ends with focus on the abs but some classes don't. Cool down is stretches that help with flexibility and muscle recovery. The best part is you can just wear regular yoga attire too!

PC: Shape.com


Barre is a great segway into working out if you are just starting out or getting back into the swing of things with your workout routine. The focuses are to improve stability, build strength and build your core up. It goes at a slower pace so you can focus on getting the movements accurate in order to get the full effect of it and the repetition of the moves makes you work harder for your gains. It can improve your posture and define muscles. Most people who do barre see the results very quickly mentally and physically. Since I started back in the summer, I can attest to my results.

If you're a visual person, like me, you need to see what its like before you try! I added a video for you to take a look at some movements or even try it out at home! Regardless, I personally think it's the perfect fit for me so I say try it for yourself and see!



Comments