Overcoming your 1st Gym Visit

I started my fitness journey back in August of 2018 and while I am only halfway to my fitness goal now, I have never stepped foot in a gym.

The introvert in me was super nervous about being in the gym because of the fear of being judged. Also I had no idea how any of the equipment worked. I didn't think I could afford a gym membership. I didn't want to be alone or harassed by any men at the gym. There was a lot of things just swirling in my mind that was keeping me away from the gym. I mainly did Pilates at home, which I still do, and would do workout group classes. At first, I thought I just simply enjoyed working out privately. But soon I realized I had Gym anxiety, among the other anxieties I had.



What possessed me to finally bite the bullet and get a gym membership was simple. I wanted to start weightlifting and do different things to exercise so my body wouldn't adjust. I was also tired of withdrawing from the world and figured this would be a good start to getting out there. Most people would go to Planet Fitness but I chose to go with Youfit Health Club.

It was a bit closer to my house and I had a coworker who also had a membership so I could always have someone to go with me occasionally. Included with my membership, I could bring a friend with me so I wouldn't be alone. Overall, the only thing I don't like is that unlike Planet Fitness, is that it isn't open 24 hours. It limits me to certain hours, especially on holidays, although I can make it there after work.

The first time I decided to go to my gym, I had woken up excited and confident about going. It's all about believing in yourself and building the inner motivation to go. Mine was "Okay, you're paying all this money to go, so you need to get your money's worth." Walking in, it was scary at first. I didn't know where to start or where to go. The people at front desk were helpful with directions but as I walked through the gym to the locker room, it hit me. These people don't give a damn about me right now. They are focused on themselves and their fitness goals. The gym isn't a place to have your comparison switch on.

Another thing I learned is to figure out when the gym's busy hours are because if the gym is half empty, it'll ease my mind about going. I went during a pretty busy time compared to my second time. I went in the very first time around the morning at 9am and it was almost no one there. My second time was around 6:30-7pm and it's around the time people are out of work and their classes. So like them, this is really the only time they can commit to going. I moved my schedule around so I can go to the gym during peak and non peak hours.

If you feel better having a friend go with you, you have to be able to have like minded friend who are supportive. In a way, its like how you have to motivate yourself to go. You also have to motivate them to go too. As of now, I haven't been able to convince anyone to come with me. But I simply remind myself that its my fitness journey and that I am capable of doing it.

It helps to go in with a game plan. NEVER go anywhere without a strategy in place. This helps make the intimidation of the gym easier. If you plan what you are focusing on working out like your arms, legs, cardio, etc then you will know what equipment to look for when you enter. This helped me immensely when I went and made me feel less like a chicken with its head cut off. I changed and knew I was going to work on abs and legs, so I went straight for the equipment that targeted those areas.

Have your Spotify playlist ready to inspire you. I have Spotify premium and built a playlist of motivational songs beforehand. Once I put those headphones in, I am in my zone and it really encourages you to focus and the tempo and beat of the songs gets you to work your body hard. You'll find a lot of Drake on my playlist!



Reward yourself after your workout. It's important to fuel your body after a workout since it's worked so hard. I know after I'm done exercising and my body winds down, I get SUPER HUNGERY. So I always use this as a motivational reward. I bring a healthy snack like granola or go to the subway next door and get my favorite sandwich.

Review

  • No one gives a damn about you at the gym. Remember to focus on yourself and not compare your fitness journey to others.
  • Try to plan your gym visits to non peak hours if your schedule allows.
  • Bring a friend with you
  • Have a workout plan in mind when going in to the gym
  • Make a Music Playlist to take your mind off of others and to maintain your focus
  • Reward Yourself for a good workout



Comments